Author Topic: How long for nerve block to wear off and move arm/hand?  (Read 7717 times)

Offline jeff1

How long for nerve block to wear off and move arm/hand?
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:24:13 AM »
Tomorrow is my day... and I am going with Dr. rec of nerve block.

For those of you who have had it... does it block only sensory or movement also?  When I wake up will I be able to move my arm/hand or will it take a few hours?

Offline jeff1

Re: How long for nerve block to wear off and move arm/hand?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
I can answer my own question... :)  it depends!  On whether it works in the first place!   Mine did not get all the elbow pain... so I had to pop some meds right away... but otherwise, seems like all went very well!

Had endobutton.  In sling with bandage underneath and something underneath that... not sure what.  My arm is at about 100 deg, and wrist in hand shake position.  I was told not to remove the sling or bandage until followup visit in 10 days.  I am guessing that the limited up down and rotate movement of wrist this thing allows is OK?  Or should I minimize movement all together?

Aside from some pins and needles on pad of thumb and pointer, I have no issues with any hand numbness or sensation.

I'll post more details tomorrow... gonna get some rest.

I really appreciate everyone's help and input on here... thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences.

Offline lucky 1of 100000

• zoom zoom
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
had surgery . My block lasted 3 hours after surgery could not feel arm ,and had to move it with my other arm.  no feeling in fingers etc but it did not bother me surprisingly
summers cominnnnnnnnnnnn.................

Offline Tracey

• Newbie Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
hi  Jeff and lucky 1 /1000

i was given both general and a nerve block . though they did not specifically say it was " standard of care " i was told that's what they do for shoulder surgery because it is more painful ,   i said okay.  they gave me the block  at 10,30 am . i was up at 1.;30 and  felt so good i could have walked home. i have always felt pretty bad.

my arm has shown no change . its been  11 hours.  the pamphlet they gave me said  10 hours plus or minus 4 .

if it does not get better in 36 hours one must ,,, get an attorney. . pardon .  - get two opinions with attorneys .

i mean come on  in to be seen .

I'm scared. they did print a caveat sharing people recovered at different rates.  my arm feels dead.

anyone else experience  a long wait time.

I'm going for a walk maybe the increase in circulation will help.

Tracey

Offline jeff1

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
Mine did not fully wear off until the next day... I had feeling and slight movement, but could not really lift the arm up at all... some lifting before bed (about 12 hours after surgery) and pretty much back to normal next morning.

How are you feeling today?

Offline Tracey

• Newbie Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »
H1 Jeff.

my apologies for not getting back sooner.   i ended up calling the on call  doctor  after i posted .before i posted i could feel a little inner movement in my pinkie with no visual movement. when i tried again later i didn't even have that. fear won out. as i walked around the house waiting for his  call which he never returned. i glanced at my hand  which i failed to do the second time and saw movement in my fingers . still no feeling.

when i saw the movement  i new i was going to be okay. it was litterally the eleventh hour .  ;D 

at 12 it was time for pain meds . i could  tell i best take two. didn't matter. i woke up at 1;30 in more pain. drifted back to sleep . woke up again at 2am  grabbed ice . did,nt help. i called the doc to see if i could take more percoset or sooner.  no call back. it came to me to call a pharmacist,. he told me to not take more or sooner and to keep a diary of when i took them and how many.  no rest for the weary.

writing with  a left  hand while falling a sleep and in pain  was futile.  i almost went to the emergency room . worst pain i have ever ex perinced after surgery . i could have used a morphine drip. it was out of the frying pan into the fire

sleep won out . the doc called around six. he had some emergencies and could not get back to me.  he said the block just buys time for the inevitable . i had been taking before the block was to wear off which was an unknown.  this was my first  block  experience.

it was  really unnerving   lol

in short Jeff . I'm okay.  ;D     

through this experience i did think about my deceased father who  lived the last ten years of his life with his arm in a sling due to paralysis on his left side . how difficult that must have been for him. :'(

Offline B_Mance

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »
Out of two biceps tears:

For the first one I don't remember there being any problems other than it being annoyingly tingling.

The second one wore off in less than 10 hours (they said it would be 18 or so).  This was bad because I had no pain meds in me and I was moaning in pain for something like an hour and a half waiting for them to start working.  This was NOT a fun experience.  Not sure why it didn't work as well this time.
  • Hospital: Ohio State
  • Repair Method: endobutton
  • Surgeon: Grant Jones
  • Surgery Date: 4-28-2011

Offline LOL Pain

• Newbie Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
24 hours for me until I regained full control and sensation. Unfortunately, during those 24 hors, my fingers all felt like they very uncomfortably had fallen asleep like when you sleep on you arm wrong and cut off circulation to your hand. Circulation was fine, but sensation was highly unpleasant. Was releaved for it to go and be replaced with normal post-surgery pain. I can sleep with real pain.
  • Hospital: The Orthopedic Center at Hillcrest
  • Repair Method: endobutton
  • Surgeon: Brian Chalkin
  • Surgery Date: March 27th, 2012